Friday, September 23, 2011

Phase 2: Finding our Place in the New World


The last few days since arriving in Seattle have been a flurry of activity: showing Debbie the sights and what drew me to this place, helping her enjoy her vacation and mine, and starting the all-encompassing search for a place to live.  I'll say, it's pretty overwhelming and might make me feel a little small like that Wyoming prairie dog (who became, incidentally, Debbie's buddy in the Wyoming desert).  I was, however, able to show Debbie some of the Seattle highlights and we met a few interesting folks along the way.  Seattle never wants for interesting people; that's for sure.




It helps that the weather was beautiful today, and is supposed to be tomorrow.  I think fall will really hit here next week and then we go into the seriously rainy months.  Hopefully I can sort out the living arrangements before we get too far into fall.  The sooner I line that up, the sooner Shawn and Lorelei can be here.  Interestingly, Seattle has a wide open renter's market.  There are tons of places to choose from and they are constantly coming on the market, going off, etc.  I've looked at several already and have a couple more on Sunday.  Fingers crossed one of them works out....  In the meantime, it looks like I'll get to watch the Buckeyes tomorrow (it's being televised out here on one of the ESPNs, I believe), and I'll continue my preparations for my first day at work.




Having never done a move like this before, I don't have much of a frame of reference.  I find the experience somewhat disorienting.  I miss Shawn and Lorelei and feel incomplete without them.  On the other hand, it might be a little easier for them if I've already gone through my shell-shock phase before they get out here and go through theirs. Even though it's disorienting and leaves me vulnerable, however, I really feel like this is right.  I love this city and as I get comfortable in my own skin again, it's going to be wonderful exploring it.  Ed and Amy are helping keep me grounded, which is the most valuable resource a girl could have in this situation.


Hopefully by the next update I'll have news and more pictures to share!  I believe they may reflect a wetter version of Seattle, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment