Thursday, May 3, 2012

Now You Are Seven!

Lorelei is seven years old!

How on earth did this happen?  When did she get to be so big and grown-up??


In true form, and consistent with her previous birthdays, we celebrated at a nearby park.  These two are her classmates who came to celebrate with her.  Aren't the three of them lovely?


They had fun.  We played on the beach, ate some lunch, hit the playground, and played some more.  And yes, that's the Sound out there.  The rain was threatening but it held off so Miss Lorelei could have her birthday party.  Fabulous.

Lorelei is amazing.  Of course I think that, I'm her mom.  But she is truly a wonder and so much fun.  She's an only child of perhaps unconventional parents, so she regularly watches TV with me.  That means she watches "Bones" and reruns of "X Files".  Funny enough, I have seen all the X-Files episodes about a hundred times and still get freaked out.  Lorelei's first time through and she's telling me it's ridiculous that I have to hid my eyes in a pillow.  Really, Mom, grow up.  Goodness.  In a few years I think we'll have our hands full.

All those girls are amazing.  I remember 7.  I received a book for that birthday from my first friend, Kerrie.  It was called Now You Are Seven.  I loved that book and I gave it to Lorelei this year.  <sigh>

As well as Lorelei's Birthdaypalooza, we have also trekked out a bit in the last few weeks.  We went to Bainbridge Island a couple weeks ago with Ed and Amy, and of course, Miss Maya.  It was a gorgeous ferry ride:


That's looking west toward the mountains as we are heading that way. It was a beautiful day.  Here's a look back toward downtown:


I like that one because I like the seagull hanging out with us.  Here's a better picture of downtown:


Kind of a neat picture.

Bainbridge had some pretty good BBQ, which means it looked like a dive farmhouse with a little too much hayseed going on.  Sure, it looked wrong, but the beer was cold and the BBQ was sweet-sassy-molassy-amazing.  We sort of ate and drank our way through Bainbridge.  It was decent and it's clearly got the island-town thing going on.  I liked it, but I have to admit, I like the hustle and bustle of Seattle.  One thing is for sure, Shawn and I chose well in deciding to move here.

Here is Mount Rainier from the ferry.  Very nice.


When it's sunny and clear, this place is transformed.  I can't say enough about it.

In other news, Shawn has been crazy busy.  His spring semester and summer semester overlapped so he had double the amount of classes and work for a couple of weeks (what the hell).  Of course, he is very engaged in his work too - there was a lot going on for him for awhile.

Ed and Amy continue to adjust to life with Maya.  Oh, the joys of new parenthood.  I had the pleasure of babysitting recently and here she is, letting those animals talk to her and tell her how it is:


She's precious.

Finally, it's really starting to hit home that we live in wine country.  A coworker of mine has informed me that it's rose (as in rose-ay) season.


I'm going to like this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment