Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Nov.2, 2011: Halloween and the Horrors of Job Hunting


After much ado regarding Halloween costumes (we had decided on Link, a video game character, but couldn't find the costume, then it was a pink/princess witch, which I didn't really understand and sort of vetoed), we settled on this one.  It lights up.  


Seattle is very serious about Halloween.  Seattleites spare no expense celebrating the dark side with ghoulish decorations in their yards and homes, and there are many scheduled events for kids and adults.  Lorelei went trick-or-treating at Ed's work (allrecipes.com), then she attended a Halloween party hosted by one of her classmates, and on Halloween itself, she went trick-or-treating at my work.  We didn't even go to the business district scheduled trick-or-treating in West Seattle (Saturday afternoon), or go out in the neighborhood Halloween night, yet we still have about 10 pounds of candy floating around the house.  I guess we better find a dentist.


Speaking of my work....


I think things are going well.  I can't ever know what management thinks, but the more I get into my job the more I like it.  I forgot how much I love litigation.  I like how unpredictable it can be and the idea of formulating a strategy for each case.  In Washington the courts have hearings for just about everything, which means some court time arguing merits of the case - of course, I love that.  I think this is a good fit.  I'm not quite to the end of my first six weeks, so I'll withhold further impressions.  Of course, the view from my window is nice, too.


One of the girls at work and I went to lunch the other day, and we had Pho, which is an Asian dish that involves noodles, broth, veggies, and if you want, meat.  It's amazing.  Excellent comfort food.  It's almost a phenomenon out here, too.  Pho and Starbucks, one on every corner.


Lorelei seems to be adapting at school very well, and we've figured out that we like the curriculum at her school here better than what they were doing in Hilliard.  She has math homework every week and has a whole portion of her day dedicated to math.  It's much more intensive than at Brown Elementary.  Her reading skills are improving, also.  They teach phonics in first grade here, which is another difference.


Shawn is busy keeping up with school and looking for a job.  School is great and he's enjoying his programming class very much.  The job search is, well, everyone knows what fun it is to look for a job.  Fingers crossed for him that it doesn't drag out too long.




The sunsets in West Seattle are amazing.  The days will start out cloudy, overcast, your basic gloom, and end with the sun and these fabulous colors.  The pictures cannot do it justice.  It's nice that we can see them from our house with a view like this.  This picture also shows the Olympics, it's a rare thing in the fall to have the Olympics pop out from behind the cloud cover.


I went to get my hair cut on Sunday.  The woman doing my hair, upon finding out that we'd just moved from Ohio, pointed to the hair stylist next to her and said, "Emily here just moved from Ohio, too."  As it turns out, Emily moved to West Seattle about 4 months ago.  She's from Canton, Ohio.  Emily and I had a wonderful conversation about adapting to things, and how difficult it is to miss your family and friends after having lived your whole life in Ohio.  I told her how things were just starting to settle down and I'm now starting to feel the void of my family and friends.  She said that it's hard, but time will eventually help us get through it.  She also pointed out that, having spent 40-plus years in Ohio, what would it say about our lives if we didn't have a hard time adjusting to a place 2600 miles away from our friends and family?  


With that said, it's time to get my day started.  Know that we miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment