Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fragrance, Frolicks and the First Week of Work


I may have mentioned before that Seattle is fragrant.  I decided to go for a run this morning because it's been 5 weeks or so and I'm out of excuses.  On my run I smelled the rose bushes that seem to randomly grow in various spots, the wild rosemary that grows everywhere, and of course, the salt air.  It's amazing how the plant life just takes over here.  Even more interesting - it's fall, yet I still smell flowers and plants.  I'm sure that will change shortly, but it's a different environment altogether when I can watch the leaves falling from the trees while I can smell the roses and other plants.


Also, today was the West Seattle Food Truck Fair.  The picture above is from our excursion checking out the truck food.  I tried a kobe beef slider from one of the trucks, some pizza, and of course, a soft pretzel.  They had trucks with tacos, creole food (the longest line ever or I would have gotten a biegnet), gourmet hot dogs, ice cream, and loads of other items.  I would have tried more things but the lines were crazy long.  Everyone from West Seattle was there, I think.  There is always something going on around this town, which is nice.  The West Seattle Farmer's Market is open year-round. That makes me happy.




That's Stella and her pink ball.  She loves her pink ball and she knows the difference between it and her other balls.  It has to be the pink one.  Stella and Foster are my constant companions.  They are great dogs because they help fill the void while I'm waiting on my family to get here.  They also hang out with me while I'm getting ready for work.  They give me little pep talks before I head out to the office.


The first week of work went fine, I think.  I'm still trying to figure out the dynamic at the firm and what the culture is.  I suspect they have quite lofty expectations regarding my work there, and we'll just have to see if I can live up to them.  Overall though, I think I'm going to like the work itself - the litigation.  I'm anxious to get into my cases and get settled with the workload.  For now, one day at a time.




This is the view from the balcony at our new place. There are clouds in the distance so you can't see the Olympics out past the islands, but they are there and we'll be able to see them from time to time.  I think the rain is starting to arrive, though, so it might be awhile before I see them again.  I'm ready to move into our place and establish ourselves as a family unit.  I stopped by tonight to move a few things in and I just looked around.  I like this place.  It's warm and inviting, and it will be a good place for us to create our new reality. 


Amy and Ed have been amazing and have really made this transition so much easier.  As just a small token of my appreciation, I picked up baby Jupiter his/her first item of clothing:  a Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt.  


And speaking of babies, my baby girl arrives one week from today with her Grandma B!  The countdown can truly begin!!  I have missed her immensely.  Shawn should arrive a week from tomorrow if he has smooth sailing on his drive out, or he'll arrive Tuesday.  Fingers crossed.


Godspeed Shawn and Lorelei!

No comments:

Post a Comment